I love to accomplish things.
There's no better feeling for a person with my personality type than to make a long list of tasks, and then begin to cross them off. When I was a mom at home with small children, I would make my ILT ever day. That stood for my Impressive List of Things. At the end of the day, I would show it to my husband (who was far too smart to ever say, "What did you do all day?") If all or most of the items had been crossed off, I would feel it was a successful day. I had accomplished!
My list was typical:
- clean the house
- run errands
All these things needed to be done, but many years into it, when the children were mostly grown, I began to realize that the ILT had become more important than God wanted. I was becoming 100% Martha. Don't get me wrong- I love Martha (and so did Jesus) but she got things out of perspective sometimes. So do I.
I began to wonder what God's ILT would look like.
- I'd really like to talk with you today. "Come near to God, and He will come near to you." James 4:8
- I have things I'd like to say to you today. "Don't stop reading this book of the Law, but day and night think about what it says, so you can be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will prosper and succeed." Josh 1:8
- How's it going with the fear thing? "I will never leave you nor forsake you. So you may boldly say, 'The Lord is my Helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?" Heb. 13:5,6
- I made today for you. Can you give it back to me? No matter what happens? "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." Ps. 118:24
- Here's the thing. I am with you. I love you. You are my special, beloved child. Today and every day. "For you are a holy person who belongs to the Lord your God. Of all the people on the earth, the Lord has chosen you to be his own special treasure." Deut. 7:6
- So today, Lord, I give you my list, and decide to take a look at yours.